About Your Library Card
You must always have your library card in order to checkout materials. Your library card is also good at any NorLN library
throughout northern West Virginia!
- When applying for a library card, you must present two forms of ID and proof of address. You should have the name, address and telephone number of a person who does not live at your address when applying for a card, for an emergency contact.
- Library card applications must be filled out in the library in order to receive a card.
- The first library card is free, replacement cards will cost $3.00.
- Children under the age of 13 are required to have a parent or guardian sign their library card application in the library. Children ages 13-18 must have a parent or guardian sign their library card application. This age group does not have to be accompanied by a parent or guardian, but parents must sign the application. All parents/guardians signing for minors must be library patrons in good standing, provided they have a library card.
- A library card cannot be issued to an agency, organization or department without an individual representing the agency, organization or department signing the card application and being responsible for the account.
All books check out for 28 days with the following exceptions:
- New books - 14 days (The ones with the yellow 14 day sticker on the spine.)
- Audiobooks check out for 14 days.
- Toys from the Toy Library check out for 14 days.
- DVDs and videos check out for 7 days (borrowers must be 18 years of age) - limit 5 VHS/DVDs per person having a card for longer than one year (3 for new patrons less than a year old).
- WV Contractor's books and Study Guides - 7 days (indicated on book spine) WV Contractor's books, Nursing study guides, ASVAB, and GED books require a deposit that is refunded when the books are returned.
You will be given a receipt at the time of checkout showing when items are due, and may also call or check your account online to see when items are due.
- Any item may be renewed two times if another patron has not placed a reserve on the item.
- Items may be renewed at the circulation desk, online or by phone.
- Books - $.10 per day (maximum of $5.00 per book) Fines are not charged on paperback books unless indicated on the book pocket.
- DVDs, Audiobooks, and Videos - $1.00 per day (maximum of $10.00 per video)
Lost or Damaged Materials
Patrons are responsible and accountable for costs, fees, and fines for all library materials checked out on their library card. Parents/Legal guardians are responsible for library materials checked out by their children.
- If library materials are lost, stolen, or damaged severely enough to require withdrawal from the collection, the patron on whose card the material was checked out, or the patron assuming responsibility for the child on whose card said material was checked out will be charged the list price of the material at the time of library purchase as noted in the item(s) record(s).
- Recognizing that the library is a publicly funded institution, this price covers the cost of the material and any other expenses required to return the material to circulation.
- In the case of a default price appearing in the item record, the library staff will investigate the current list price and charge the patron the lower of the two prices. There will be no refund on lost material if said material is found after payment has been made. Any exception to this policy will be at the discretion of the Library Director.